Happy Mother’s Day!

Happy Mother's Day

It’s Mother’s Day and time to celebrate those mothers around us!  Mothers are powerful influences in our lives and not one of us would be around if it wasn’t for their presence. I am the kind of guy who cannot wait until my kids are old enough to start coming up with ideas of things to do for their Mom on Mother’s Day vs. me trying to patch something together. It’s not that I don’t want my wife to feel special, but I’m not a Pinterest kind of guy. Today, however, I’m going to share some of my favorite ideas gathered from friends and previous years of trial/error.

Don’t let her do any “Work”

One of my most successful years was when I didn’t let my wife lift a finger. Not for dinner, not for diapers and not for dishes. Not ONE finger. The only challenge is figuring exactly which chores my wife really did, and did not, want to do. This is when I learned that best part about this approach is that it lets her be around the kids while avoiding chores she detests.

Homemade Gifts from the Kiddos

This is pretty much a slam dunk! I’m happy to say that if you’re lucky enough to be in a school system like mine, the Art Teacher kindly plans a craft for the kids to take home for Mother’s Day. It’s awesome. If not, head on down to Michael’s/Hobby Lobby and pick up some craft paint, wooden garden stakes, chimes, door sign, etc. Then you just have your children paint up a storm and present her with their original artwork. If you have time, throw on a coat of clear spray paint to help them last longer.

A Late Sleep.

It’s been ten years since we had our first child. Followed in close proximity by three others, Julie and I have just recently have been able to sleep in beyond 7:00 a.m.  Two weekends ago we rolled over it was after 8:00 a.m.-WOW! The point of this is that it has probably been years since either of you have really slept in. Give her the gift of sleeping in or just a lazy morning with coffee delivery. She’ll love it.

Pick Three!

This isn’t my original idea, but one I learned from a friend. Just ask her the three things she wants to do on Mother’s Day and the three things she doesn’t. That’s it-no mystery and 100% what she wants on her day.

Kid’s Choice with Dad Veto.

While it can be a bit risky, I do like asking the kids what they would like to do for Mom on her special day. About 80% of the time the ideas have merit and the other 20% require you to exercise a Dad Veto. These typically fall along the lines of “Hey-let’s take Mom to McDonald’s and play at the indoor playground!”  Ummm…..No.  I am pretty much sure that is more for you than your Mom. You get the general idea.

No matter what you choose, if you just make sure everyone tells Mom how much they love and appreciate her–I’m sure she will be happy. The above ideas are just a few things that might help make the day even more special. Let each of us be grateful for our own Mother, as well as the other ones in our lives.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: